SDR SCCA

Thread: Another (dumb?) tire question

Another (dumb?) tire question

So I came out to my car the other day, and saw this on the front tire. It's pretty small, about 1/2" 3/16", but it's down to the cords.

The tires are pretty new. I got them in September, before the novice school. And in addition to about 1,500 miles of street driving, I drove them in the school and the last three events. Elsewhere, they have plenty of tread left.

But this is the first time I've had (or at least noticed) a chunk come off a tire.

Will this pass tech, or do I need a new tire for February?

Thanks!

John

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not sure what tire pressure your running but your doing your tires wrong by the looks of it.
    The tire wear is killing your tire, what negative camber are you running if any at all? I would be very cautious to even use this tire at all. Goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by JKinOB View Post
    So I came out to my car the other day, and saw this on the front tire. It's pretty small, about 1/2" 3/16", but it's down to the cords.

The tires are pretty new. I got them in September, before the novice school. And in addition to about 1,500 miles of street driving, I drove them in the school and the last three events. Elsewhere, they have plenty of tread left.

But this is the first time I've had (or at least noticed) a chunk come off a tire.

Will this pass tech, or do I need a new tire for February?

Thanks!

John

Quote Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post
    Not sure what tire pressure your running but your doing your tires wrong by the looks of it.
    The tire wear is killing your tire, what negative camber are you running if any at all? I would be very cautious to even use this tire at all. Goodluck

Thanks Will. Not the answer I was hoping for, but kind of what I expected vis-a-vis the chunk.

That was on the M4 Convertible. Camber was not adjustable. I can't recall the exact amount, but it was about -1 degree. For pressure, I was running at 36 PSI hot.

I am still learning. What makes you say that I'm doing them wrong? What should the tires look like after abut 45 runs?

You could flipped the tire so you could have used the tread more evenly.

Thanks Will. Not the answer I was hoping for, but kind of what I expected vis-a-vis the chunk.

That was on the M4 Convertible. Camber was not adjustable. I can't recall the exact amount, but it was about -1 degree. For pressure, I was running at 36 PSI hot.

I am still learning. What makes you say that I'm doing them wrong? What should the tires look like after abut 45 runs?

How often do you flip the tires?

You can flip them based on wear and tear, I have flipped mines twice to prolong the life span

Like will said, car dependent. On my BMW 135, when it was stock, I flipped after 25 runs or so. Then I got tired of that and put on camber plates. In your case, flipping them around 40 runs or so would have been good!

The Cayman should be much easier on tires.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cpt11gs View Post

The Cayman should be much easier on tires.

Chris
    I hope so. Thanks!!

You didn't state if that was a front or rear tire.
    - In addition to camber challenges which alone can cause this...

If a front tire, you may be under-steering to much (slow down your corner entry speed, your scrubbing speed w/ tire edges, vs brake pads.)
    If a rear tire, your likley over steering on corner exit, weight transfer is eating at your tires.

Flipping tires... flip them just as the tread groove at the corner of the tire is visible, but not particularly measurable (your image is beyond that at this point). On my 3* camber car, I wear both edges, just as they heat-cycle out for AX. They then become my daily's, and new race rubber gets installed.

Chunk... Sucks, but time to replace that tire for AX. Personally I'd run it on the street, but I'm not "recommending" that.

Quote Originally Posted by CNaylor View Post
    You didn't state if that was a front or rear tire.
    - In addition to camber challenges which alone can cause this...

If a front tire, you may be under-steering to much (slow down your corner entry speed, your scrubbing speed w/ tire edges, vs brake pads.)
    If a rear tire, your likley over steering on corner exit, weight transfer is eating at your tires.

Flipping tires... flip them just as the tread groove at the corner of the tire is visible, but not particularly measurable (your image is beyond that at this point). On my 3* camber car, I wear both edges, just as they heat-cycle out for AX. They then become my daily's, and new race rubber gets installed.

Chunk... Sucks, but time to replace that tire for AX. Personally I'd run it on the street, but I'm not "recommending" that.
    Thanks! It was a front, and it had very little negative camber. The most I could get on the BMW was -0.9* front and rear.

I can get a little more on the Porsche, but not much. I have -1.3* in front and -1.9* in back.

I definitely overdrive into the corners. I'm trying to get better at that...