SDR SCCA

Thread: Question on interpretation of Rule 13.4 Wheels for Street Category

Question on interpretation of Rule 13.4 Wheels for Street Category

I have a few questions about wheels for street class.

I looked in the forum, and found several posts on wheels, but I couldn't find the exact answer to this. Please forgive me if this has been answered, and I wasn't able to find it in the forum.

Rule 13.4 says (in relevant part):

"Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
    A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than 7.00 mm (0.275) from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
    B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1 from the standard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles."

How are 1" diameter and 7mm offset allowances determined when there are several different wheels sizes offered for a particular model of car?

For example, on the Porsche website, there are 8 wheel choices in four different sizes for a base 2018 718 Cayman:
    size a - 2 choices with 8x18 ET57 (front) and 9.5x18 ET49 (rear);
    size b - 2 choices with 8x19 ET57 (front) and 10x19 ET45 (rear);
    size c - 2 choices with 8x20 ET57 (front) and 10x20 ET45 (rear); and
    size d - 2 choices with 8.5x20 ET57 (front) and 10.5x20 ET47 (rear).

One reading of the rule would mean the base 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman could still run is A Street class with 8.5x17 ET50 (front) and 10.5x17 ET38 (rear) because these wheels are the same width as the widest [size d] and 1 inch smaller than the smallest [size a] and within 7mm of the smallest offset [sizes b or c for the rears].

Another reading would be that the rule means you can only vary the diameter and offset relative to a particular size option. In that case, the widest, smallest diameter, and largest offset wheels would be 8.5x19 ET50 (front) and 10.5x19 ET40 (rear) based off of size d.

Has the rule been interpreted one way or the other?

Thanks!

John

I have a 2017 Camaro 1LE and have EOM 20X10 et20 up front, 20X11 et43 rear. I have the option to go to a 19 or 21 inch wheel. The offset can be played with and I can go to either et13 to et27 up front and et36 to et50 rear. After all that you can try any 200tw tire you can fit. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post
    I have a 2017 Camaro 1LE and have EOM 20X10 et20 up front, 20X11 et43 rear. I have the option to go to a 19 or 21 inch wheel. The offset can be played with and I can go to either et13 to et27 up front and et36 to et50 rear. After all that you can try any 200tw tire you can fit. Hope this helps
    Thanks Will.

That tells me that the dimensions (e.g. the offsets) for a front wheel can't be mixed and matched with a rear wheel, probably because it wouldn't be "as installed" to put a rear wheel on the front, or vice versa.

What about mixing and matching dimensions for standard rear wheels when there are different available rear wheel sizes?

Thanks again!

John

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John,
    I’m not sure if you can swap your tires front to back, but I dont see why you cant? I would be more worried about the wheel fitting and not rubbing.

I believe the answer you are looking for is you can go +/- for any wheelset that can come standard for the model of car. If a base trim only comes with a 17x8 and a sport trim can come with a 17x8 or 18x9 for example, in the latter case you could go +- from either optional wheelset.