SDR SCCA

Thread: 2018 CAM Challenge Event

2018 CAM Challenge Event

Will San Diego Region be hosting the CAM Challenge event in 2018? If so, which weekend will be scheduled? Will it be combined with the Match Tour event like this year?

I think it’s going to Fontana this year Kenny
    CAM is good...

Both San Francisco and Cal Club Regions have said that they have no plans or have been asked so far. I hope that there is a CAM event on the west coast this year.

I think a lot of us hope there is one on the West Coast but the previous west coast CAM events had much lower attendance numbers compared to the others.

I asked for a repeat of 2016, where we had a CAM Challenge combined with the Match Tour, but the answer was no. Then I offered an stand alone CAM Challenge, because our Match date has a Good Guys conflict. The way it was explained to me is that the National Staff wants to encourage CAM participants to enter the CALCLUB ProSolo, making it a de facto CAM Challenge, and that they feel it's a better fit.

I don't agree, but it's not up to me.

We sold out the 2016 Match/CAM, with (roughly) 145 'regular' and 55 CAM participants. But we had AT LEAST ten 'regulars' try to enter the day of the event, and were turned away because of the logistics of a Match event makes over booking problematic. Even then, we went late. It might be that the National Staff feels the logistics of a CAM Challenge with a normal Match is just too difficult.

Warren
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.

Thanks for all your efforts Warren, San Diego Region has the biggest CAM-T turnout in the Country, and it’s not close. I think they would be shocked how well attented a West Coast CAM event could be, properly positioned in between the Match Tour and the Fontana Pro Solo, but for some reason they refuse to try....
    CAM is good...

It's very possible that Chad is right. Other Challenges get better numbers than the west coast, and for the National Staff, numbers matter. I know when scheduling, they struggle with all the conflicting events/shows that take place in Southern California. CAM cars have a lot of options.

'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.