SDR SCCA

Thread: 2017 Nationals

2017 Nationals

Seemed to me like another pretty tough year for San Diegans at the Solo Nationals.
    Oh sure, Jeff and Shawn won again. Nicole Wong won her 7th and Lugod won his second (congratulations to all), but the king is dead - Paul Russell had his streak of 7 straight KM championships broken. Also, I was guessing Zak was a shoo in and he did have a scant 0.119 lead after day 1, but slipped to 2nd 0.365 out of first. I guess the "good news" for Zak is he certainly didn't drive poorly; he and the guy that beat him were both were very high on the overall pax list (28th & 35th out of ~1300). Jason Rhoades also placed impressively high on the pax list 37/1300 and he only placed 6th in SSR class. And it wasn't like Paul drove poorly - he was 45/1300 and Bret Norgaard was next of the San Diegans on the pax list right around the top 10 percentile at 131 but he didn't even manage to get a trophy. Another disappointment (I'm guessing) is Diane Bollenbecker who had a 0.194 lead after day 1 but slid almost 2 seconds to finish 2nd by 1.6.

Here are your Southern California Champions and trophy winners

Champions
    STX - Jonathan Lugod by 0.186
    STXL - Nicole Wong by 0.410
    ASP - Tom Berry by 1.426
    AM - Marshall Grice by 2.396
    EM - Jeff Kiesel by 3.579
    EML - Shawn Kiesel by 4.676

Trophy winners
    AS - Matt Jones 3/55
    SSR - Jason Rhoades 6/39
    STX - Jeff Wong 4/58
    STX - Terence Chang 8/58
    STX - Steve OBlenes 10/58
    STSL - Neelu Yeoh 2/6
    STR - Michael Yanase 15/76
    STR - James Yom 18/76
    STR - Ken Motonishi 20/76
    ASP - Christine Grice 3/13
    BSP - Anthony Porta 3/16
    SM - Peter Bollenbecker 7/24
    SML - Diane Bollenbecker 2/5
    AM - KJ Christopher 2/9
    FM - Zak Kiesel 2/21
    KM - Paul Russel 2/24
    KB - Ethan Fudge 2/11

And honorable mention to Bret Norgaard who missed the last trophy spot in SSP by 0.033 finishing 5/14 and Kai Hur missed the last trophy in ES by 0.046 taking the 18/64 spot.

One last thing memorable for me is that SSM barrier has fallen. Randall Wilcox piloted his 1996 supercharged Miata to win Super Street Mod while pax'ing 5th over all ~1300 entrants and coming back from a quarter second deficit after day 1. Congrats Randall, where ever you are. I realize I'll never have mine prepped as well as his, but it was still nice to see.

Thanks, Bruce, for the above summary. Great work. I add my congratulations to all that won jackets, and trophies,
    and just showed up!

Just a quick comment: I think I would have mentioned that Jeff Kiesel won the E Mod Solo Nationals again for the Eleventh consecutive time this year!!.
    Congratulations on your accomplishments, Kiesels; I'm certain it took a lot of dedication and hard work. You've got a lot to be proud of.

Quick shout out to Tom Kamman, and Theodore and Todd Skinner - very respectable efforts guys, congratulations!

Best Regards,
    John Brady
    Last edited by lost won; 09-13-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: relied on 71 year old memory again, DUH...
    Corruption of English is worsest than the worst.

Thanks John, I overdrove it....
    CAM is good...

Jeff K has 12 National Championships.

'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tomswheels View Post
    Thanks John, I overdrove it....
    Easy to do on the west (corn) course.

'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.

I stand corrected, Warren. You ought to know. I should have done the proper research. (NEVER rely on a 71 year old memory!)

I was thinking consecutive E Mod Solo Nats, not counting Pros. Which seems to be eleven, not ten? And then 7 or so more Pros to boot.

QUITE an accomplishment.

AND by the way, congratulations on your tenth place, old timer! You did good.

Best Regards.
    Last edited by lost won; 09-13-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    Corruption of English is worsest than the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by lost won View Post

AND by the way, congratulations on your tenth place, old timer! You did good.

Best Regards.
    Thank you, I am very pleased with it.

I'm 'hired' to do a job, and the job comes first. For not driving the car for 12 months, not knowing I'm going until two weeks before the event, and doing the job....I'm very happy.

It's an extremely tough crowd. Not one class is weak. To win even once requires planning and dedication, and also mechanical luck. Then after all that is done.....you need to drive fast, to be at the top of your game, to KNOW, truly KNOW during the course walks how fast your car will go in every corner. It's what I have learned from my trips....how hard it is to trophy, let alone win one of these.