SDR SCCA

Thread: Repository for the continuing thread of Old-Time Slaloms

Repository for the continuing thread of Old-Time Slaloms

This could get old. There are a few dozen other reels in this series, so unless you don't mind seeing many of the same old cars doing the same old things on (perhaps) different pieces of pavement, it might be a good idea to exercise the forget-it option.

This one is labeled "El Cajon" and I don't remember where, nor anything else about it. Looks like a High School parking lot, considering the handball courts visible in the background. (Geneva called them "racquetball" courts. Was there racquetball in 1972? I don't remember.)

Yes, I think it was 1972, Sandy Sheffield's and my championship season in her Lotus Elan. The light-colored Porsche might be Jerry Sturm, who was our principal competition; when we didn't win the class, Jerry did. Zoom on the Alfa's wheel was to highlight Fred Puhn's Chassis Engineering spun aluminum wheels, designed and made by him in his National City shop. The end of first May Co. film shows them on another car, Fred's white MG TF.
    Old school
    Really old school

Frank I remember running at I think it was El Cajon Valley HS back in 74-75. Could that have been the lot. I remember it being smaller.

Steve

These are awesome, keep em coming!
    CAM is good...

ECVHS is a good guess, I guess; I'm just blank on it.

Here' more May Co., this time with Doc Thompson v. Mickey Pleasant, Fiat Abarth v. Bugeye Sprite and a light blue Spitfire, a white Austin-Healey 100 (Paul and/or Kerith Guy, I think) and one of the omnipresent Corvettes.

Thompson and Pleasant were both accomplished drivers, and in excellent cars, so they were frequently close to Top Time Of Day.
    Old school
    Really old school

Before there was "Solo One" there was "high-speed slalom", this one at Carlsbad Raceway. One reel, then another, and finally, a third. If you're familiar with the Carlsbad layout, I think you'll get to see action at just about every area, and plenty of elevation change that influenced the driving.

There was some serious motoring going on during these two days (separated by a tear-down of the track and the usual Saturday night grudge drag races). I'd like to know what that Indy-style race car was doing there, and who brought it and drove it. "Jerry Grant" tickles my memory.

Perhaps I shouldn't tell this story at all, but it's so good I can't resist: Syd Cole, red MGA, was a decent driver and an amazing man, in many ways: social service worker, author, parent. His car needed a new engine, he thought, so he took it to a well-known racy mechanic, hoping for an end to the slight smoking problem, and incidentally, improvement in performance. When he got it back, it was all he hoped for, no more smoking, and plenty more grunt on the slalom course. What he never knew was that his ace mechanic had found a Nash Metropolitan engine in a junkyard - excuse me, car breaker's - cleaned and painted it and stuck it in Syd's MGA. Complete with the camshaft designed for a long intake tract and single carburetor. Perfect for slaloms, it seems.

I believe the white Camaro was driven by Gary Wheeler, who was a Gurney organization engineer, now retired at a place on Puget Sound. Inventor of the AirTab efficiency booster and perhaps the famed "Gurney Flap" or whickerbill. AirTabs:

Norm Johnson in the silver Healey 3000, was a retired Navy training instructor, then in real estate. Mickey and Doc show up again, and Harry Codianne in his Elva Courier Mk IV, also known to race at Playas de Tijuana.

The white Cobra that stars in the third reel was said to have been brand new, delivered the Friday before the event, and the new owner had very little experience in it.

At the end of the third reel, just a taste of May Co. I'm certain there will be subsequent, maybe even interesting memories; I'll try to add them as they percolate to the top of the morass.
    Old school
    Really old school

I need some help, again, naming the venue. I haven't the slightest memory of this place, although I recognize Scott Bell in his Vega.

What kind of car is that light green one? OTAS?

The name of the XKE driver is on the tip of my memory, but no...

Is this the same place? Autocross can be done on tiny lots.
    Last edited by Frank S; 08-18-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    Old school
    Really old school

Thirty seconds of downtown Tijuana followed by four minutes of a "practice slalom" at Bullring-By-The-Sea, then back to May Co, General Dynamics/Cubic, more May Co. 17:23
    Old school
    Really old school

Higher education

Slalom at Southwestern College "Try it, you'll like it." 02/13/72 7:14

Event chairman Mike Cook in the Corvair, wiith his pal, Don Stewart. Several events at this location, over a period of a year or so.

"Little Monaco" slalom at the University on Point Loma. 00:58

A one-time use of the venue. Organized by the school's sports car club, it seemed OK until one of the kids made a couple of bad choices. The course was relatively short, with lunge-and-brake bracketed by the ends of the three or four lots on three or four levels. The u-turns were just before the lots dropped off four feet or so. One kid, with a nice camera, put a folding chair beyond a u-turn, and climbed atop it to get a good angle. More than three of us, me included, told him that was not a good thing to do, that he should not be in that spot in that circumstance. He said, "It's OK, I'm a member of the club." Less than five minutes later one of the Corvettes slid through the kid's position, and knocked him ass-over-teakettle and down the slope. He was hurt seriously, and he and his family eventually sued the club, the Corvette driver, and the school, charging negligence. We three who had told him to move witnessed that he chose to endanger himself, and the suit was dismissed.

The other memorable thing about this one: there was a shiny red new Toyota 2000GT to marvel at. Might have belonged to the injured kid.
    Old school
    Really old school

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I need some help, again, naming the venue. I haven't the slightest memory of this place, although I recognize Scott Bell in his Vega.
    Both of the videos in at post are Monte Vista High School in Spring Valley. Your running on what was known when I attended HS there as the Teachers & Seniors lot. I never saw cars run on that lot growing up, but did watch them on the lower larger lot (it's twice the size)

For size comparison... imagine the NW quadrant of the SE lot (the area inside the k-rails that often get moved to open the lot up). That is probably larger than this lot at MVHS.
    Last edited by CNaylor; 10-31-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CNaylor View Post
    Both of the videos in at post are Monte Vista High School in Spring Valley. Your running on what was known when I attended HS there as the Teachers & Seniors lot. I never saw cars run on that lot growing up, but did watch them on the lower larger lot (it's twice the size)

For size comparison... imagine the NW quadrant of the SE lot (the area inside the k-rails that often get moved to open the lot up). That is probably larger than this lot at MVHS.
    Thank you. Goes to show it's possible to find a way to squeal tires if you're motivated, even though at a small scale.
    Old school
    Really old school