SDR SCCA

Thread: New 2015 CAM rules

New 2015 CAM rules

I will just leave this here for interested parties..

Solomatters article - classic american muscle cars classified for 2015 tire rack solo program

PDF of the rule set

Based on the above, do we anticipate any changes to how we run CAM locally?

Hopefully the CAM drivers, and interested CAM drivers, give input here and to the Solo Committee so that the Supp Regs can be updated and implemented for the first event. Plenty of time, and a "high grade problem" to have. Might be helpful to know how the three provisional National Event CAM categories would divide up the class locally.

According to Rule #5 in our Supplimental Regulations:

"Car classification shall be according to the current SCCA National Solo Rules including Provisional Classes......"

We have always used 'provisional' and 'supplemental' as interchangeable words. IMO, unless the Solo Committee votes (4-1) for them NOT to run, all three classes are now legal in San Diego. And technically (by our supplemental regulations, rule 2.9.2) that vote needed to take place in October.

IMO they run.

As far as car classes in San Diego, the SCCA rule book is the standard (as per the Sup regs) in order for them to be changed, a vote has to take place to NOT use them (or to run certain classes together, and index them, I.e. Prepared and Mod). So a proposal would have to be made NOT to use the SCCA classification, and submitted at the next meeting (January), then the proposal gets taken back to the groups, then it is voted on at the next Solo meeting (Feb). It's to late. This situation is just like what happened with the first cam rule set.

Just my opinion.

nalbar.
    Last edited by nalbar; 12-26-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.

The Sups can be found here;

http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/docs/2...eg-2014-01.pdf

Reading the new SCCA CAM rules, they also changed CAM-T to 'body style up to '74'. It's different than the Sup Regs describe, and pretty much completely different than last years SCCA rules. In fact, the whole section in the Sup Regs describing CAM should now be removed. The SCCA has gotten much more specific in what they want. It looks like they expect that CAM will soon be a National Class. The experiment appears over.

LOTS of changes in the SCCA classes for 2015.

nalbar
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by nalbar View Post
    Reading the new SCCA CAM rules, they also changed CAM-T to 'body style up to '74'. It's different than the Sup Regs describe, and pretty much completely different than last years SCCA rules.

nalbar
    CAM-T Body styles originating from 1954-72
    CAM-C Body styles originating from 1978 on

I am guessing that the cars between 1973 and 1977 were just copies of pre-73 original body styles? So fit in CAM-T?

Quote Originally Posted by JonRobbinSS View Post
    CAM-T Body styles originating from 1954-72
    CAM-C Body styles originating from 1978 on

I am guessing that the cars between 1973 and 1977 were just copies of pre-73 original body styles? So fit in CAM-T?

Jon, they specify Camaro is Cam-T all the way til 1981, Barracuda til 1974, Mustang til 1973. Pretty much everything else 74+ goes to Cam-C

Well it looks like I'm in CAM-S for 2015 because of the wheelbase restriction(I'm at 96"). Possibly one other CAM regular will join me for not meeting CAM-T weight requirements. Other than that I'm not sure who else there is, so I foresee CAM-S being a small class and would like it to be combined or indexed with the others to have better competition. I probably will not get many supporters. CAM-T and CAM-C on there own will likely be the most participated classes in our region so combining them into an index may not make sense if a group of 20+ cars is something we (region or competitors) wants to avoid. Obviously I'm not liking having the wrong car after a rules change. ...I'll try to get over it.

Jon, do I see CAM-C in your future?

-Alcino

As far as car classes in San Diego, the SCCA rule book is the standard (as per the Sup regs). In order for them to be changed, a vote has to take place to NOT use them (or to run certain classes together, and index them, I.e. Prepared and Mod). So a proposal would have to be made NOT to use the SCCA classification, and submitted at the next meeting (January), then the proposal gets taken back to the groups, then it is voted on at the next Solo meeting (Feb). It's too late. This situation is just like what happened with the first cam rule set.

Just my opinion.

nalbar.
    (editing in red and bold-ing from me)
    My apologies for not paying more attention to the CAM crowd, but my impression has been that they have been more towards a bunch of guys with cool cars they've spent a bunch of time on getting them to be like they want that want to come out and play VS. the fraction (though certainly not all) of autox-ers that are the hard core competitors that get into prepping their cars to the limit of ever changing SCCA rule landscape and honing their precision driving ... i.e. the people that care most about the SCCA rules. So this is not to say the CAM guys don't want to compete, just that they don't seem to be so much into prepping their car to suit somebody else's rules. But people vary and and maybe some have been sucked into the hard core SCCA autoxer mold ... not that there is anything wrong with that (ala Seinfeld )

Regardless, stranding a few drivers off in a poorly represented class doesn't make much sense if my impression of the crowd is even semi-accurate. Ask me how I know

I would suggest the region do what the CAM crowd wants **IF** that can be ascertained. My suggestion would be to do basically as Warren outlined:
    * propose to have CAM an indexed class (so they can all run together **IF** that is what they want)
    * submit this at the next meeting (January)
    * then the proposal gets taken back to the groups,
    * then it is voted on at the next Solo meeting (Feb).
    * have it as part of the proposal that the first event get retroactively scored as an indexed class.

And I am under the impression that many of the CAMers have lines of communication outside of meeting ~1/month with us. If so, I would also suggest that they get organized and vote amongst themselves before the Jan meeting as to what they want and send a rep (or as many people as they can muster) to the Jan meeting to make their desires known.

While what I suggest might not meet the letter of the "law" as usually insisted on by the hard core autox crowd, hopefully they can understand the these rules are more like guidelines (ala Pirates) and that **IF** the CAMers are largely united and what something for themselves, they should get it, but a large part of this will rely on their ability to show that it is indeed the wish of the majority of them.

Just my 0.04 worth (sorry this ended up so long winded),
    Bruce

I think most of us CAMmers like the new class split, it seems fair to the majority of us. The "problem" if there is one, would just be the lack of cars locally in the CAM-S class. Two of the 5 fastest cars from last year, The Mustang II and the 2680lb Falcon, would probably be the only ones at the beginning of the year at least in that class, oh and maybe the Maverick that showed up last event. I don't know if anyone locally is preparing a C3 Corvette for CAM (I've heard rumors), or if Tonys Camaro or my Valiant will make the move to -S but it's possible. I'm thinking adopt the new classes, and see if the cars show up for -S, cause we certainly will have plenty in -T and -C...
    Last edited by tomswheels; 12-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.

LOTS of changes in the SCCA classes for 2015.

nalbar
    Other than GP, are there some I missed?

Jeff,

Race tires are now illegal in all street classes except Super Street, that means all S-Race classes (except SS-R) are gone. STC is gone, merged with STS in its entirety. Also, the tread rating on all Street classes is now 200, and all ST classe tire ratings are tied to the Street class rating, making all ST tires 200. Not only is GP gone, but EP and DP are completely re-organized to separate FWD from RWD, part of this reorganization taking place in '15, the final in '16. So if you were to list all the classes that have been 'rebuilt' or 'destroyed' it would be all Street-Race classes (except SS-R), STC, STS, GP, DP, EP, GP, CAM. That's about 12 classes that are either gone or re-organized. And that is not counting all the ST classes going 200 tread wear, and that tread wear rule being tied to the Street rules, which IMO will be a big deal.

nalbar
    Last edited by nalbar; 12-29-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Other changes I've noticed are WRX and some other AWD are no longer in ESP.. I was also told Nissan GTR are no longer in SM.I'm not seeing that change

PLus Ultimate Street Car Challenge just raised their minimum weight to 3200 for 2015.limiting spoilers to 6 inches no other aero pieces allowed.Some of our fast SM guys were doing their event with wings .I guess there weren't liking it.

CAM-S looks like the only one now allowed Lexon,Plastic side windows.Along with removing the mechanisms to make it go up and down.For CAM-T and C it's all factory glass working windows. Which is the better way to go for whats to be a street car class..Thats how I read it. CAM-S can be translated in to a CP clone with just street lights 200 tires even easier then the other 2.Also looks like a effort to dust off the BP class cars and bring them back.That class went away 10 years ago "Lexan window shields for one year"
    Last edited by soloracer7; 01-10-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soloracer7 View Post
    Other changes I've noticed are WRX and some other AWD are no longer in ESP.. I was also told Nissan GTR are no longer in SM.

PLus Ultimate Street Car Challenge just raised their minimum weight to 3200 for 2015.limiting spoilers to 6 inches no other aero pieces allowed.Some of our fast SM guys were doing their event with wings .I guess there weren't liking it.
    Nope, the USCC probably weren't liking it at all; and are now reaffirming they prefer Street cars. The red Mustang entry from Texas was probably responsible for the wing ban. They told him nice once, then twice, then...
    Corruption of English is worsest than the worst.

Senior Member SCNAX kjchristopher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soloracer7 View Post
    I was also told Nissan GTR are no longer in SM.
    For Pro-Solo only.
    kj
    SCCA Area 11 Director
    ACME Special