SDR SCCA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash at Mid Ohio SCCA T2 Nissan

Administrator SCNAX
    Chattanooga, TN (just west of Tail of the Dragon)

Crash at Mid Ohio SCCA T2 Nissan

"Definition of a "good day" autocrossing? If you can make it all day without someone yelling at you." - R. Noll
    This forum and server sponsored by some guy in Tennessee

Administrator SCNAX

"Definition of a "good day" autocrossing? If you can make it all day without someone yelling at you." - R. Noll

Administrator SCNAX

Administrator SCNAX

Administrator SCNAX

Wow, the safety crew was moving pretty quick on that one. I wonder if it was one of those you could see it happen before it happened kinda crashes.
    I hope the driver is OK.

Administrator SCNAX
    Lessons-

Don't park against the fence at Mid Ohio.
    Safety equipment works
    Dont race it if you can't afford to lose it
    Make sure you video camera in the car is on and rugged enough to take the abuse.

Steve, if you check the one pic above, the driver is being led, but walking, to the ambulance.

That earns another WOW

Administrator SCNAX
    Wonder if anyone we know is heading off to Mid Ohio to race?

Haha!! Il be there tomorrow for the NASA National Championships this week.

Her ya go..

I'll bite, You?

Administrator SCNAX
    Nice animation!

I was yanking his chain, I knew he was heading off to Mid Ohio.

DRIVE SAFE!

OMG wow! is what that deserves. I Kept scrolling down just thinking, omg when is it going to stop? oh ok fence... omg he over it holy craap, still gooing....? How fast are the cars going at that part of the track? That was some serious ground to cover through a gravel trap and fence.
    "Every driver's aim is to compete in the Grand Prix, win races, and become World Champion... I am no different, my track is just orange."

Moore Racing Technology http://www.mrtmotorsports.com
    STS
    White 95 honda Del Sol (SOHC!!)

Administrator SCNAX
    Good thing that final area was not filled with cars/spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
    Good thing that final area was not filled with cars/spectators.
    I hope it was vacant by design, and had been for the life of the track. if not, there's bound to be some re-design going on for all areas previously thought invulnerable. Better be, anyway.

They raced at Riverside International Raceway for many, many years before a F-5000 car crashed outside Turn One and launched its engine several yards into the spectator area. You can't think of everything.

Forecasting is difficult.
    Particularly about the Future.
    óDeepak Gupta
    Old school
    Really old school

Administrator SCNAX
    My understanding is that it is an active parking area (note the trash cans). Just not being used for this date. I bet the corner workers felt more secure before this too.

Motor home parking

Three Runoff's in a row, the last three at Mid O, there was a motor home full of serious spectators parked in that corner and lots of drunks stand in front of it.

Administrator SCNAX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvdaMMrmkF8&fmt=18

ChaseCam footage before the recorder went flying out the car

Administrator SCNAX
    Hey all, here are the pics of my crash at mid-o this wknd. Data said I was going about 95mph when I went off the back straight before 7. Some kind of brake failure. Had brakes for a split second then nothing. Slowed from 130 down to 95. Someone said I flipped about 9 times. Cartwheeled over the gravel trap and catapulted over the tire barrier and then over/through a 18 foot fence and ended up in the spectator area. Officials said they have never seen a car go that far out or seen a crash like that at mid-ohio. Iím completely fine though, just a small bump on head. Can't say the same about the Z. Thanks to everyone out there that helped me out especially cat killer, ralphy and ed.
    Yes, i had a hans on. That's what probably gave me the bruise on my forehead. Hans stopped my helmet but my head smashed into the inside of my helmet. I had a racetech seat with wings and head bolsters. Did not have a net on the right. Had a 5 point harness (2 groin belts combine into one buckle). Car never really had a hard impact. Just kept on doing cartwheels over a long distance dissipating the energy. Looking at the in car video looks like instinct took over and i tried turning at the end of the straight so i started flipping almost before i left the concrete. Should of gone off straight into china beach and hopefully had the gravel slow me down b/f hitting tire wall. Thing that bothers me the most is not knowing what happened to the brakes. Childs is conducting a csi investigation. My data showed a 1.2 G slowdown at the 400 mark just like always but only for a split second. Pedal felt good. Then my G's gradually dropped to 0. I remember lifting and pushing in the pedal again and the data showed my G's came back up to .7 then quickly dropped back down to 0 before i turned the car and flipped. I don't ever remember the pedal just hitting the floor. Brake fluid reservoir was still filled after the crash. Looking at the in car video, the car really shimmied at initial braking, almost looking like the rear brakes were working but not the front. Only evidence we have so far is on the front left wheel, the rotor had a weird discoloration and was completely scoured and gouged as if the caliper was stuck. I don't see how this happend though b/f the crash though b/c the car was pretty dead on straight, not drifting to the left as you would expect so maybe it somehow got scoured after the crash. Car does have ABS but I don't think it ever activated. Braking was totally fine going down the keyhole just prior.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
    ChaseCam footage before the recorder went flying out the car
    He needs a better mount.
    -Steve
    #46 F125
    #46 T1 - 2009 Cal Club Class Champ / 2010 So Pac Divisional Champ