SDR SCCA

Thread: New forum upgrade coming

Administrator SCNAX
    Chattanooga, TN (just west of Tail of the Dragon)

New forum upgrade coming

Some pretty cool features are being added, so I wanted to give you a preview.

Thread tagging. You can add tag words to each thread, which can be clicked by others. For example, you create a thread and at the bottom is a box where you can add tags such as SCNAX CHILI. Then users can click on the word CHILI for example and quickly see all other threads with the same tag. This will also create a tag cloud. A tag cloud shows all the common tags being clicked and how often they are clicked by the size of the font.

Thread PrefixesThis means each thread can be prefixed by a quick pull down. For example, threads can be prefixed with WTB or QUESTION or FOR SALE or EVENT or SMACK TALK or whatever we all decide. We can customize the prefixes by subforum....

Social Networking System
    Enhanced buddy lists to create groups of friends. Viewable to others, ala Myspace.

Public Messaging. Like PMs but visible, ala Myspace.

User picture galleries.. again like Myspace. Can be made private as in viewable only by "friends." This does not replace the overall gallery we now use.

Subgroups or special interest groups. Might come in handy for creating a club like SCNAX or ? for example. Or a group that puts on events. Or ??? These groups can have their own public messaging system and their own image gallery.

New user profile page. This will be more like Myspace with the public messages, images, etc. You will also be able to customize your page as far as colors, fonts, etc. Note, I might restrict this. Not sure. You will be able to add more personal information to the profile and easily edit it.

Enhanced methods for dealing with spammers. This will make a mods life easier.

Edit history on posts.

Custom notices to users based on variable criteria. This is really potentially cool. I can create a notice that will display if the user is browsing a forum, has X number of posts, and much more.

New human verification system and options to get rid of spam bots. This means I can stop using a custom hack.

Visitor tracking on profile pages

And a lot of inner forum guts stuff...
    "Definition of a "good day" autocrossing? If you can make it all day without someone yelling at you." - R. Noll
    This forum and server sponsored by some guy in Tennessee

I hope you get something out of all this work. I really appreciate someone
    that gives so much time.
    Thanks
    BobT.

Administrator SCNAX
    Sure. Um...

Well, I get the satisfaction of helping the community... which is actually a selfish reason. I enjoy doing that. Just as I am sure everyone else in this community enjoys helping out as they can. Picking up cones. Whatever. And if anyone actually remembers to use the tire rack link at the top of the page, I get a commission which is cool, since I would do this anyway.

Forums are a hobby of mine. I have more. I do one for my hometown. One for a music band that needed it. One for my car (see www.lotustalk.com) and more.... I do it because I enjoy developing communities and helping out in the way I can. What I can do, is make and develop forums, and I have server space. Which is all paid for by ChaseCam, so that is good too. I don't really need the money to run these forums.

I would like to think that these forums could become more a source of good things for the region.
    "Definition of a "good day" autocrossing? If you can make it all day without someone yelling at you." - R. Noll

Crusading Race Car Driver SCNAX A12's Avatar
    Randy, stop beating around the bush why don't yah mate ? We all know the holidays is right around the corner. Don't mind being too forward if all you wanted were cholesterol-filled chocolate chipped cookies with milk.

-Andrew
    612 SKII ES
    Black 1994 Mazda Miata
    You know something is destined to be yours when you taste a little more of it every morning you wake up. - A12

Administrator SCNAX
    I like pie

Administrator SCNAX
    Forum has been upgraded. This means there are some new features you can ignore. And also we may have created more problems.

So let me know if you have any odd things happening.

Administrator SCNAX
    Hmm... test

TEST

crap.. I broke something

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: fetch_rank() in /home/sdsolo/public_html/forum/includes/class_dm_user.php on line 1794

Administrator SCNAX
    Test again. Did I fix it? Do you feel lucky punk? Do you?

Administrator SCNAX
    Yay. I fixed it.

OK... back to normal.

Administrator SCNAX

es es ICAL

Test test TEST

Administrator SCNAX
    Test

Administrator SCNAX
    TEST attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Administrator SCNAX
    And I think we are 100% back.